Former Prince Andrew released from police custody Thursday evening
發佈日期: 2026-02-20 21:21
TVB News


The former Prince Andrew of the United Kingdom - the younger brother of King Charles lll who is now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was released from police custody on Thursday evening. He was earlier arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations he sent confidential government documents to Jeffrey Epstein. A car believed to be carrying Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was seen Thursday entering the Sandringham Estate, following the former prince's release after his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 11 hours before. He was earlier photographed in a car leaving the station near his home in eastern England. Authorities said he was released under investigation, meaning he has neither been charged nor exonerated. Earlier this month, the police force said it was looking into allegations he had passed documents to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while working as Britain's trade envoy. Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship. The arrest of the senior royal, eighth in line to the British throne, is unprecedented in modern times. "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office," King Charles said in a statement. Although Buckingham Palace was not informed in advance about the arrest, King Charles said the authorities had the British Royal family's "full and wholehearted support and cooperation." "Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," the monarch said in a statement. The king visited a fashion show in London on Thursday,making no further public comment. Locals and tourists in London reacted to the arrest. Janik Limakaspar, a Dutch tourist said: "I think it's good to see some repercussions for people named in the Epstein files. You know, in America I don't feel like anything is happening even after all of the files were released. So it's good to see some high profile, powerful individual get what they deserve." London resident Aisling Barker said: "I think it's just one of trust really. I just don't think you can trust the Royal family any longer." Mountbatten-Windsor was forced to quit all official royal duties in 2019 over his ties with Epstein and was then stripped by his older brother of his titles and honours last October. A conviction for misconduct in a public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. The Associated Press assessed how the arrest affects the British Royal Family, Danica Kirka said: "There's just no hiding how really big of a problem this is for the House of Windsor. And now they're trying to put the biggest possible line between Andrew and themselves in hopes that the House of Windsor can retain its standing within society. It's really, really a tense time for the royal family."
