Largest US fleet in decades heads for Middle East
發佈日期: 2026-02-20 20:53
TVB News


The Pentagon is sending the largest force of American warships and aircraft to the Middle East in decades, including two aircraft carrier strike group. US President Donald Trump warns of possible military action against Iran if talks over its nuclear programme fall apart. Iran, meanwhile, held annual military drills with Russia, signalling they are prepared for war if talks fail. An Iranian naval commander boards a Russian military ship. Russian sailors stand to attention. The timing of these joint Iran-Russia naval drills is significant. It comes as the United States strengthens its presence in the region, with President Donald Trump sending America's biggest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R Ford, to near the mouth of the Mediterranean Sea. Iran earlier this week launched a drill that involved live-fire in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow opening of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of the world's traded oil passes. Thursday's military drill saw Iranian forces and Russian sailors conduct operations in the Gulf of Oman and the Indian Ocean. China had joined the "Security Belt" drill in previous years. Tensions are rising in the region with recent US-Iran talks in Geneva making little progress, with Washington making demands that Tehran are unlikely to accept. Aboard Air Force One, Trump was asked how long Iran has to make a deal on their nuclear programme and ballistic missiles. "I'm not going to talk to you about that." (Reporter: What is the goal if there is a US military strike?) "Well we are going to make a deal or we're going to get a deal one way or the other. I'm not going to talk to you about that. But we are either going to get a deal or it is going to be unfortunate for them," Trump said. (Reporter: Deadline to make a deal?) "I would think that would be enough time, 10, 15 days, pretty much maximum." Iran has said it would launch an all-out regional war if it is attacked, remembering last year's 12-day war when Israel and the US struck Iranian targets in the middle of negotiations. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country is prepared to defend itself and is working closely with the US. He said if Iran dares to attack Israel, "they will receive a response that they cannot even imagine".
