Day 155 of Jimmy Lai's landmark national security trial
發佈日期: 2025-08-27 20:15
TVB News



The defence for former media tycoon Jimmy Lai continued their closing arguments in the city's landmark national security trial today.
The 77-year-old is charged with conspiracy to collude with foreign forces and publishing seditious materials. He could face a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Jimmy Lai's trial resumed at the West Kowloon Law Courts this morning; day 155.
On the sixth day of closing submissions by the defence, Lai's barrister, Robert Pang, said the prosecution had argued Lai still followed the Twitter accounts of Stand with Hong Kong and
Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China after the implementation of the national security law.
Pang said that did not mean Lai supported the two organisations.
Pang said the court should consider the reliability of the testimony of the prosecution witness, Chan Tsz-wah. Pang said Chan had already been convicted and could receive benefits by being a prosecution witness.
The defence described Chan as a "serial liar" and "violent nutter" for proposing applying violence
to overturn the government to establish a government-in-exile.
Pang said the court should have "a spirit of justice and empathy" when assessing the reliability of Lai's testimony. Judge D'Almada Remedios said "why does the court need to have empathy?"
Pang said the court should consider Lai's age and memory.
The proceedings continue on Thursday.

