Government will not extend buyback plan deadline for Wang Fuk Court

News

發佈: 2026-08-23 19:12

撰文: 無綫新聞

  • Facebook分享

Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong says 74.1% of Wang Fuk Court owners have signed sale and purchase agreements, after the government offered a buyback plan for the homeowners affected by the Tai Po fire. Wong says the government will not extend the scheme once the August 31 deadline passes.

The government started issuing "Letters of Offer" to Wang Fuk Court owners for its acquisition plan in May, asking them to submit their acceptance letters no later than August 31. As of Friday, 94.7% of owners returned their letters, while 74.1% signed the sale contract.

Speaking on a radio programme on Sunday, Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong urges the remaining 100 households to make their decision promptly. Wong says the government treats the deadline seriously, meaning no extension will be made for the scheme. He explains an extension will affect the entire transfer progress.

In response to comments that question the validity of the number of owners willing to accept the government's offer, Wong stresses all statistics had been checked before publishing. He says authorities have not set any KPIs for the plan, something they stated clearly in the past.

Wong, meanwhile, says he felt anger after hearing statements that the government will sell the original site of Wang Fuk Court to property developers. The deputy financial chief describes those remarks as "vicious," and the government could not possibly sell the land for profit. He says the site could be turned into a park or community facilities.

熱門新聞