Israel denies not giving US warning ahead of attack on Syria

News

publish: 2026-08-23 21:14

By: 無綫新聞

  • Facebook分享

US special envoy to Syria Tom Barrack says Israel

did not give a warning to the US ahead of a recent

airstrike on Syria, raising concerns of an escalation

with the US and Nato ally Turkey.

This as Israeli representative refute the claims, saying his country

did in fact notify US ahead of the move.

Ambassador to Turkey and US special envoy to Syria Tom Barrack

says the US was caught off guard

when Israel struck an air base in northern Syria Tuesday.

This causing tension in the ongoing escalation with Turkey

and in the Middle East, especially

since Israel usually closely coordinates

its military action with the US, its key backer.

Barrack says the attack on the

Abu Duhur base, around 80 kilometres east of the Turkish border,

could have been Israel "baiting the Turks."

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the base

was attacked because Syria was "on the verge of breaching" an agreement

by allowing Turkish troops to deploy there.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz, however, contradicts Barrack's remarks, saying

his country had alerted senior members of the Syrian government while simultaneously

transferring the intelligence reports to the "relevant authorities" in the US.

He adds the attack was warranted after the "warning wasn't heeded."

Barrack says it was likely Israel had intelligence suggesting Turkey

may be bolstering its presence in the area and made the subsequent attack

without informing the US or Turkey.

Israel had previously raised concerns about Turkish military activity at the air base

though the US concluded that wasn't the case.

Turkey has been supporting Syria's effort to rebuild its armed forces by

training Syrian personnel and supplying equipment and logistical support.

The two countries signed an agreement last year that formalised their military cooperation.

Israel, meanwhile, has remained suspicious of the new authorities in Damascus,

led by former Islamist insurgents.

Syria's interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa has repeatedly said that he does

not want a conflict with Israel.

Trending News